Our community history is one of people who have made a difference
Wellesley is unique — offering its residents natural beauty, safe neighborhoods, superior educational opportunities, a variety of recreational and cultural events, and a rich history. But what really sets Wellesley apart are the extraordinary people who live here.Read more
Make a Difference Forever.
The Fund for Wellesley was created as an endowed fund in celebration of Wellesley’s 125th birthday. Its establishment continues Wellesley’s long tradition of leadership in philanthropic engagement and stewardship of the Town.Read more
Apply for a Grant
The Fund for Wellesley is accepting grant proposals from charitable organizations and Town departments that serve the Wellesley Community, particularly those that seek to enhance the ability of all Wellesley residents to more fully participate in the community. The deadline for applications is March 19, 2015 and decisions will be made in early May.
The Fund actively seeks new ideas, approaches and collaborations. It welcomes applications from those who bring innovative thinking to big issues and small ones.
Apply for a Grant
Please click the link below to apply for a grant
Purpose of the Awards
The Fund for Wellesley seeks grant applications from non-profit organizations serving Wellesley. We are particularly interested in entertaining grants for programs that enhance the ability of all Wellesley residents to more fully participate in the community. While Wellesley is rich in natural, economic and cultural resources, not all Wellesley residents are able to avail themselves of these resources, due to factors that include economic need, age, physical or mental health issues, language and cultural barriers, and lack of familiarity with available resources. The Fund for Wellesley seeks grantees who will strive to alleviate these barriers and increase opportunity and participation by all Wellesley residents in the civic, cultural and social life of Wellesley. The Fund endeavors to be broadminded in meeting this goal of increased access and strives to reflect the diverse interests of the citizens of Wellesley. Accordingly, grants will be considered in a broad range of program areas, including, health, human services, education, recreation and arts and culture.
Grants will also be made to support projects and programs that strengthen and increase the capacity of charitable organizations to more efficiently and effectively serve the Wellesley community, including strategic planning, program development, fund development and marketing.
Preferences will be given to proposals which:
- Address significant community issues.
- Present innovative and entrepreneurial, yet practical and achievable projects.
- Focus on strategic innovations that encourage collaboration, cooperation, create efficiencies, and reduce duplication of services. Collaborations may take place with other nonprofit organizations and/or with for-profit entities.
- Explain clearly how the funds will be used. Present clear work plans illustrating the ability to achieve the project’s goal(s).
- Provide a plan for sustainability beyond the funding period.
- Demonstrate potential to attract funding from additional sources.
- Confirm that the organization is reasonably financially stable, with no overwhelming threats to continued viability.
Non-profit organizations that serve the Wellesley community, as well as Town of Wellesley boards, commissions and departments are eligible.
- Non-profit organization applicants must be recognized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Groups with viable ideas, but not yet
of 501(c) (3) status may have an eligible fiscal sponsor.
- Applicant’s purpose and programs must serve the Wellesley community.
- Proposals may be submitted for new or to enhance existing projects and programs.
- To encourage collaboration, two or more organizations may submit a joint proposal in addition to a proposal exclusively for their own purposes.
About The Fund for Wellesley
The mission of the Fund for Wellesley is to promote the common good and to benefit all residents of the town. The Fund for Wellesley serves as a permanent source of funding to foster innovation and collaboration in support of community needs and opportunities.
Although having a strong endowment is critical to the Fund’s fiscal health, awarding worthwhile grants is really at the heart of our mission.
The Fund provides seed money for innovative programs that:
- build and strengthen our community
- increase access and opportunities for all of our residents
- focus resources on unattended social issues
And we help our grantees find ways to sustain their successful programs.
This unique approach to entrepreneurial philanthropy is accomplished through the thoughtful work of a Community Board comprised of a group of committed citizens, who are active in and knowledgeable about many diverse aspects of the community.